We have worked with Australian primary producers and natural resource managers to manage climate risk for over 20 years.
We give them better forecasts, and practical climate tools and products to incorporate climate risk information into their business decisions.
Our current funding period (IV) runs 1 July 2013 to 1 July 2016.
We aim to help primary producers and natural resource managers manage the risks and exploit the opportunities resulting from Australia’s variable and changing climate by:
- improving the accuracy of forecasting on time frames of value for primary producers
- providing climate products, services and tools for managing climate risk
- increasing primary producers’ knowledge and confidence to adopt climate risk management strategies.
- Grains Research & Development Corporation
- Cotton Research & Development Corporation
- Meat & Livestock Australia
- Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation
- Sugar Research Australia
Our program builds on more than two decades of climate research by its predecessor, the Climate Variability in Agriculture Program, established under the National Drought Policy in 1992 and extended under the Advancing Australian Agriculture initiative in 1998.
The program’s consecutive 3-year funding periods have supported research through Managing Climate Variability I, II, III and now IV. MCV’s legacy is substantial, demonstrating high benefit-to-cost ratios in each of its independent evaluations.
Last updated: Monday, April 7, 2014